“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Nazca Part 2

The highlight and the main reason for our stay in Nazca, was to see the Nazca Lines. Tuesday morning, we set out early, for our second attempt to see these incredible and mind-boggling geoglyphs! Although, excited about the prospect, I was a little apprehensive, too. I definitely felt a sense of butterflies in my stomach when we were called to board the plane - a 6 seater, including 2 for the pilots. The others, for Rakesh, Claire, Stephen and myself. The smallest plane that Rakesh and I have ever been in!

The doors were locked and the plane attendant outside, pointed his thumb up, giving the pilots the "all clear" signal. There was no backing out, at this point! The little plane was on the run way in no time, and up between at around 3000 ft within seconds!

From there, the pilot pointed out each of many geoglyphs, as we flew above them, one by one. We each had headphones on, to listen to the pilot's instructions as to how to locate each of the geoglyphs. Some were more evident than others. Unfortunately, my headphones were not working properly, so I resorted to Rakesh's abrupt pointing motions. Somehow, they helped! Some of the geoglyphs we saw included a monkey, a dog, a humming-bird, and a duck.

We all had a fabulous experience, and the weather was perfect!

Other than the Nazca Lines, we also saw the world's largest sand dune. It was searing over the city of Nazca, in the distance. It measures, 2078ft in height!! A sand boarder's heaven, no doubt!!

The town of Nazca, is overall pretty small, yet crowded. Lots, of people and vehicles. It was my first time in a desert town. While there, I forgot, that we were in the middle of the desert, and it only struck me when I saw several women sweeping SAND off their front store window sills and away from the sidewalk!! The owner of our hostel, too. He was sweeping the whole ground floor, as we were just lounging around in the living area. I was thinking about the fact that I complain about the dust that collects in my house in CA. This is so little, in comparison to what these people have to deal with!! Argh! These poor people. I know I would go insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment